Metro

Tinubu Orders Large Security Hiring Drive After Nationwide Insecurity

Share
Share

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has declared a nationwide security emergency and ordered a large increase in recruitment for the country’s security services as violence rises in several areas.

The Presidency said the declaration allows security agencies to hire more staff at once and to step up operations against terrorists, bandits, and violent gangs. The move is aimed at putting more personnel where the threat is greatest.

The Police will add 20,000 new officers to their current recruitment plan, bringing the total target to 50,000 across the country. To speed up basic training, police leaders may use National Youth Service Corps camps as temporary training sites.

The statement said that officers pulled from VIP protection duties will go through fast retraining before they return to work in high risk parts of the country.

  Anthropic Says AI has Caused a Largely Automated Hacking Campaign

“In view of the emerging security situation, I have decided to declare a nationwide security emergency and order additional recruitment into the Armed Forces,” the statement read.

The Department of State Services has been told to train and deploy forest guards to patrol forest areas that are known hideouts for criminals. New staff for that unit have also been approved to boost these patrols.

“By this declaration, the Police and the Army are authorised to recruit more personnel. Although I previously approved the upgrade of police training facilities, the Police are now authorised to use various NYSC camps as training centres.”

  North-Central APC Forum Claims Tinubu’s Plateau Appointments Rewards the Wrong People

President Tinubu called on all Nigerians to back the recruitment and mobilisation drive and to take part in efforts to improve security.

“My fellow Nigerians, this is a national emergency, and we are responding by deploying more boots on the ground, especially in security-challenged areas,” Tinubu said. “The times require all hands on deck. As Nigerians, we should all get involved in securing our nation.”

The announcement marks a major shift in the government’s approach to security. The plan focuses on adding people, speeding up training, and putting more officers into troubled zones. The government says this step is needed now to try to restore safety in the most affected parts of the country.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Metro

OpenAI User Details Exposed After Mixpanel Security Breach

Mixpanel has reported a security incident that it detected on November 8....

Metro

Ukrainian Delegation in the US for Discussions as Kyiv Faces Second Night of Lethal Russian Attacks

A Ukrainian delegation, led by National Security and Defense Council Secretary Rustem...

Metro

Guinea-Bissau Military Takeover and Its Consequences

Guinea-Bissau’s military executed a coup, seizing control just before the release of...

Metro

African Union Leader Urges More Equitable Debt Restructuring Solutions at EU Summit

At the recent African Union-European Union summit in Luanda, Angola, AU Chair...