Metro

Wike Demands Answers from Navy on Gambo’s Land

Share
Share

Tensions continue in Nigeria’s capital as Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has publicly demanded that the Ministry of Defence break its silence on a contentious land ownership investigation involving retired Vice Admiral Awwal Zubairu Gambo, former Chief of Naval Staff.

The controversy erupted earlier this month when military personnel reportedly blocked Wike and top FCT officials from accessing a disputed plot of land. The standoff, which played out in full view of the public, has ignited widespread concern and raised questions about the balance of power between civil authorities and the armed forces.

Minister Wike has maintained that the construction on the site is unauthorized, asserting that the military failed to secure the necessary approvals or submit proper documentation to the FCT Administration before initiating development. According to him, official records do not support the land ownership claims attributed to Vice Admiral Gambo.

  Fayose Reflects on Obasanjo Gift Controversy, Urges Caution in Political Relationships

Wike suggested that Gambo himself may have been misled. “All indications point to the possibility that the former naval chief was deceived,” he reportedly told FCTA officials, urging a thorough verification of the documents in Gambo’s possession before any further work is allowed.

However, Wike’s direct intervention at the site has drawn criticism from the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle. Matawalle accused Wike of disregarding prior advice from both the Chief of Defence Staff and the Chief of Naval Staff, who had recommended waiting for the outcome of an official inquiry rather than confronting the matter on the ground.

Speaking during an interview, Lere Olayinka, Wike’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media, emphasized that the onus is now on the Defence Ministry to update the public. “They announced the investigation. Nigerians deserve to know how far it has gone and why it’s taking so long,” he said.

  FAAN Chairman Ganduje Says Lagos Airport Upgrades Bring It Closer to Global Standards

Olayinka also questioned whether Vice Admiral Gambo has presented any credible proof of ownership or submitted the required legal documents to the appropriate authorities. “The public has a right to know if the land was acquired legitimately,” he added.

When asked whether Wike’s order to halt construction on the site is being enforced, Olayinka admitted he hadn’t revisited the location since the incident but pledged to follow up.

As the dispute continues, residents of Abuja and concerned stakeholders await clarity from the Defence Ministry. The outcome of the investigation is expected to determine the legitimacy of the land claims and could set a precedent for how land disputes involving military figures are handled in the future.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Metro

OpenAI User Details Exposed After Mixpanel Security Breach

Mixpanel has reported a security incident that it detected on November 8....

Metro

Ukrainian Delegation in the US for Discussions as Kyiv Faces Second Night of Lethal Russian Attacks

A Ukrainian delegation, led by National Security and Defense Council Secretary Rustem...

Metro

Guinea-Bissau Military Takeover and Its Consequences

Guinea-Bissau’s military executed a coup, seizing control just before the release of...

Metro

African Union Leader Urges More Equitable Debt Restructuring Solutions at EU Summit

At the recent African Union-European Union summit in Luanda, Angola, AU Chair...